Tuesday, March 25, 2008

On the Road with the original florida kid-week22

"On the Road" with the original florida kid - Week 22
Hello again fellow truckstars! It's week 22.........
and you're on the road with the original florida kid....
Grandma, Barbie and everyone here at the ranch say "hey"...........
KITCHEN TABLE TALKIN' -
Well, this past week we had a family loss. Grandma June, Barbies grandma passed away in a nursing home in Hobe Sound, Florida. She had been there for about three years. Barbie and her Mom, Grandma Debbie(here at the ranch....) were very close to Grandma June. She was quite a gal, a skydiver, skateboarder, she loved motorcycles too(got pics of her on mine) a big high school basketball fan in her hometown in Michigan. Everyone who knew her, loved her.
Barbie and her Mom(Grandma Debbie) worked so hard to keep her comfortable, visiting several times a week making the 60 mile drive without ever complaining. It hurts to see someone you love have their heart broken by the loss of a loved one almost as much as the actual loss of the loved one.....doesn't it truckstar? Barbies Mom held her hand and whispered in her ear that we loved her, we would all be okay and she could go..... a few minutes later she did. 4:05pm this past wed., heaven received it's latest citizen........... Barbie and her Mom, I felt should be the ones with her since it was an "all girl" family for many years, raising the kids and stuff, so.........
she'll never, ever be forgotten.
Well truckstars, we all have to go sometime don't we? I guess.........I ain't in no hurry though......... I want to make the most of it while I'm here, don't you?
A few days ago I bit the bullet and went out and bought a 2008 F-450 4x4....this truck is nothing short of being a BEAST ! It's black and it's a crew cab with a 4.88 gear, meaning it will haul up to 33,000lbs.......I'll let you know.....yes I've heard the bad reports about the 6.4l diesel engines and I would much rather have gotten one with a Cummins diesel in it, but the Cummins come in the Dodges and I couldn't find a Dodge strong enough to do what I need it to do, or rather, what I want it to do. The high end pick-up truck market isn't what you think it should be out there in a market place where the costs of freight hauling is creating sub-markets for camper, car, boat and trailer haulers.........not to mention the fact that NOT ONE of the numerous salesman I spoke with on my trek to find the "beast" at a half dozen or so dealerships had a clue.....about anything(except his sales commission...)...............
Do your homework, truckstars, do your homework on what you need when you make a buy like this. You know what to do........
So far so good, like I said I'll let you know........
I like Dave Sweetman, he writes a column, "driver's view", in roadStar magazine, usually towards the back of the mag.I like his perspectives and outlook, being a driver himself he's out here in the mix with the rest of us. Check out roadStar mag and grab a copy of Landline, the OOIDA mag while you're at it.
I'm proud to announce that I became an OOIDA member this month, a link to them and Landline will be on thetruckstar.com, my new website which will be up soon. The Teamsters(I wish I was one...) and the OOIDA as well as the ATA, are major players in the courts across the U.S, including federal court. Think about joining the OOIDA truckstars, our strength lies in our numbers......right?
If any of you guys or gals are trucking history buffs, like me, and have any old trucking photos I can use on thetruckstar.com, Please forward them to Jim McCormack at truckertotrucker.com for me, he'll make sure I get them and I will put them up.
I see in the latest edition of The Trucker(I love this paper....all the truck stops carry em') the mexican border crossing fiasco is still raging. I saw a couple of mexican trucks on I-10, my last cross country trip in mid-december, somewhere in Arizona I think it was. Both trucks were junkers, I mean, in the worst condition I've ever seen. Fenders flapping, half the glass missing, just tape, and almost all the tires were bald, canned sparay paint over the rust spots..... I was truly stunned....how is it these guys are allowed to run with trucks in that condition??? Now....which U.S companies are using mexican truckers?.........I'll stop buying their products....I mean it, I will.....
The ATA is pumping lot of money, more than any other firm or organization in trucking, into lobbying.....cool......I think.......
Man! I love the new Western Star and K-dubba trucks.....sweet.....Freightliner claims to have the most fuel efficient aero-dynamic design, I drove one for Averitt, I liked it alright......I like the KW's better.....
Okay, are ya still with me truckstar?
I want to talk about eating for a second here. We all know road food, for the most part, is crap, and we all know until the truckstops get their heads out of their keesters it's not going to change, either, but you can still look for the salads, grilled chicken or what ever, on most fast food menus. I look for truckstops near good restaurants, like Sonny's or even Steak-n-Shake(good salads). The walk of a couple a hundred yards won't hurt you either, and since you're already saving money by NOT buying so much coffee and junk food, a couple of extra dollars for food that won't kill ya, is worth it, like the corporate androids say - "it's a win-win". Also, hit the Wal-Mart or Publix and grab a bag of apples or oranges, or both, some cut pineapple(it cuts grease in the digestive tract), or bananas(replaces potassium killed by coffee). Also, remember, whole food organic vitamins!! Meal replacement protein bars, low fat butter, dressings, chips,etc. )gram transfat foods..........The problem is, usually, the way we eat on the road is the way we eat at home, or vice versa...stop, think about what you are doing. Okay truckstar?....Please??? I don't want to lose you too............
Daytona in a couple of weeks, I hope to be there interviewing(hopefully, if my little bro' can hook it up) Jeff G. and JJ !!
PBR - This kid! Travis Briscoe, I told you earlier last year to watch for this kid, didn't I? 3 event wins(Worcester, Fresno and Albany) this year already including the winner take all event in Fresno where he walked away with $105,000 . Check him and the rest of the boys out this week-end in Winston-Salem, N.C. sat. night on Versus and Sun. afternoon on NBC. (I really wish NBC would make up their minds whether they want to show the PBR.....or not......) I like Ty, Justin and the G-man who call the action on Versus, I don't know who this guy on NBC is, he sounds like a car salesman or something........
The Feb. 08' issue of LAPTOP magazine, check out page 110 for the Annual Notebook buyers guide, and their Reviews section is outstanding, everything from laptops, to phones, software, services, all the good stuff! Good article on page 86. Knowledge is power..........uh, chances are, the saleshelp or web site you buy one from won't have a damn clue........sooooo..... and screw wi-fi, wi-fi still has too many security issues.....I love the all in one Sony VAIO VGC-LT15E, it's got a 20" high res. screen with a built in tv tuner and a pci cardslot for mobile web access, and the ram is upgradeable to 4 gigs..........(my birthday's comin' up.........)
Help an abused kid in your neighborhood, you'll be a hero, trust me.........
See you on Facebook !!
Okay I gotta go....I'm trying to find a haul and a back-haul, so until next week..........
Don't forget about National Truckers Prayer Day -
contact Billy Mack on Bozo Radio, or the other radio trucking shows! Let's do this!!
Billy Mack on(XMchannel171) Bozo radio's Open Road Phone Line,
12noon - 4:00pm, mon thru fri - call him at 817-451-6055
Remember - NO load or paycheck is worth dyin' for..........
Pray for us all, our nation, the world and the lost..... and try not to worry!!
God hears prayers, trust me - I know...........
As always I want you to remember - I love ya and I'm prayin' for ya!
Play nice, drive safe and pull it on home...........
Crank em' up - check your gauges - watch out for four-wheelers.....Are you ready? Let's roll..........
you're on the road with the original florida kid...................we gawn..........

No comments: